Friday, December 19, 2014

Handmade Menorah Stencil Hanukkah Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  What If You Made It Yourself?
I wanted to make some Hanukkah cards for family and friends and didn't have a stamp that I liked.  So I sat and wondered what to do and decided I would try making my own stencil :)  I wanted to draw the menorah image freehand - instead of using a photograph that had perfect lines and dimensions.  I drew the image on a scrap piece of paper with pencil and then went over it with a Sharpie marker.  I then taped it to the back of a piece of stencil film and used a stencil cutter to cut out the image.  I then decided I needed some flames (they weren't included in the first stencil), so I cut a separate stencil for the candle flames.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out!  I love the idea that the card is unique and that each one I create will be a little different depending on how I apply the ink (or paint...I could make little napkins and other home decor pieces using the same stencil)!  Next time you don't have an image that you would like ask yourself, "What if I made it myself?"  Wishing a very Happy Hanukkah to those of you celebrating this special holiday!

No comments: