Tuesday, March 04, 2014

More Deli Paper Painting!

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Leave Something Around You Can Walk By And Add To
I am all for setting aside large blocks of time to immerse myself in creativity.  At the same time, I recognize that I can easily allow my life to get in the way of my creativity (something I continue to work on) and that sometimes I even use not having a block of time as an excuse to not create.  What I am loving about painting these deli papers is that I have been leaving a piece (or two) out on the craft room table and when I walk by the craft room I can just dart in and quickly add something to the page - maybe ink up a stamp and do some stamping, or grab a gel pen and add a doodle here and a doodle there.  It's easy to do something quick and dart back out of the craft room and continue on with whatever else I was doing.  It feels quite spontaneous and I love the uncertainty of where the piece will end up.  So give it a try...leave something around you can walk by and add to!
Doris asked a few questions yesterday about the deli paper so I want to provide some responses :)  The deli paper is exactly what it sounds like - the dry wax paper that is commonly used in restaurants to wrap up a sandwich.  It is not thick like freezer paper...think more like the sheet of light paper that is placed in a french fry basket to soak up the excess grease :)  I am really loving painting and writing and stamping on these papers - partly because it feels like such a low-risk activity.  After all, these papers are VERY INEXPENSIVE!  You can buy a box of 500 sheets for less than $10!  I bought mine from Sam's Club and the sheets are 12" x 10 3/4".  As for what to do with the sheets once they are painted?  Well, I am turning some of them into art tape!  I watched a video by Suzi Dennis where she had some rolls of art tape she was working with and I decided to venture out on my own to try to figure out how to do it!  The easier way might have been to have purchased her how-to video...but I'm a stubborn one when it comes to trying to figure something out when I think I can! :)  I still may watch that video...if anything as a thank you for her wonderful inspiration! :)  I am also planning to use the pages in my art journal and collage pieces.  You could even use them for decoupage!  And, of course, you could also just frame a piece and display it "as is."  The beautiful thing about deli paper is that it is incredibly strong (especially after painting it with acrylic paint) and it becomes quite transparent when you adhere it to other surfaces with matte medium.  Let me know if you have more questions!  I am happy to share my adventure with deli paper with you! :)

No comments: