Thursday, January 30, 2014

Journal Away Your Fear #1

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.  - Eleanor Roosevelt
I have been creating videos of art journaling pages for Paper Crafter's Library over the past few weeks and I am realizing what an act of courage it takes to show up to the blank page and begin doing something!  I used to think things like changing careers, facing illness, or bungie jumping were the things that would drive fear straight to the forefront of my life.  How curious it is to discover that it doesn't take a major life event to make me fearful - all it takes is a blank page and fear is staring me right in the face!  So I've decided to spend more time facing the fear that arises when I approach making art.  These pages are from an art journal of my own - one that isn't being created for "work" purposes.  A journal that I can share with you in a series called "Journal Away Your Fear."  I hope that whatever shows up in the pages of this journal will be inspiring to you and will ignite you to get up, grab a piece of paper (or an art journal) and begin to face your fear of art-making!  I give you permission to make something ugly!  I give you permission to make something you wouldn't send to your worst enemy!  I give you permission to make something that you might actually want to show to someone else!  All you are asked to do is show up and do SOMETHING!  Make a mark.  Spray some paint.  Cut something out of a magazine and glue it to a page.  I don't know what the end product will look like, but I do know that you will gain strength, courage and confidence!!!!!!  Join me on this journey to Journal Away Your Fear!!!!!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I'm not going to commit but I think I will give this a try.