Monday, September 02, 2013

Hand Dyed Fabric Hot Pad


Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  There Is So Much To Be Learned By Doing
It started with trying to cut a 7"x7" square of my fabric.  Somehow it kept coming out wrong...and then I realized that I was lining things up on my cutting board at the 1" mark and not at the 0" mark!  Lesson learned!  I also should have cut the batting smaller than the full square so that the edges didn't get so bulky.  Or maybe I should have put 2 layers of batting on the inside before sewing the pieces together - that would have made it thicker.  Oh, and when it comes to having to turn something inside out after sewing it?  It might be best not to do your turning at a corner, but rather to finish all the corners and leave the space to turn the piece inside out along a straight edge.  This was my first hand dyed and machine/hand sewn hot pad.  It was intended as a gift for a friend's birthday dinner.  I didn't want to go empty handed and the usual bottle of wine didn't seem personal enough.  So instead I gave some love and creativity a try.  And I learned.  I learned so much that I decided I needed to give it another shot.  I did.  I will share the result with you tomorrow :)  Hopefully she will benefit from my love, creativity, and lessons learned :)  There really is so much to be learned by doing.

No comments: