Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Papillion Potpourri Birthday Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Sometimes A Ridiculous Movie Is Just What You Need!
I was pretty tired by early evening today.  I had just completed my ensemble for my guest designer spot for Craft Project Central for this month (which I will be sharing with you soon!) and I didn't seem to have the energy to begin another project.  So I did what I try not to do which is to turn on the tv.  I am always conscious of how precious our moments are and am pretty sure I don't want to spend many of those moments staring at a tv screen.  However, tonight seemed to be an exception.  What made it worse - or maybe more hysterical - depending on your perspective...is that I turned on a movie that was absolutely ridiculous.  I'm willing to admit to you what it was...but please don't think less of me!  It was called The Watch - with Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn.  Even the listing on HBO only gave it one star!  And I got sucked in - while totally laughing at myself for watching the darn thing!  What became the most entertaining part for me was thinking about how much fun the actors must have had making this ridiculous movie!  I can just imagine them cracking up trying to keep straight faces while battling aliens as part of a self-created neighborhood watch group.  And now here I sit, having just gotten through the entire movie and I have to admit...sometimes a ridiculous movie is just what you need!  (But please don't take that as my recommendation that you go out and watch it too!) :)
This card was inspired by this card by Kristina Werner.  I love how the simple wash of color creates so much interest to the background!  I began by stamping the butterfly from Papillion Potpourri using VersaMark ink and then heat embossed with white embossing powder.  I then used an Aqua Painter to apply Strawberry Slush and Crisp Cantaloupe to the card (I made things a little wet, so watch how much water you use or you will warp the card).  I then wiped off the butterflies so that the white embossing stayed white :)  I wrapped some linen thread around the card and then added some circles of Strawberry Slush and Crisp Cantaloupe card stock.  Next I heat embossed the greeting from Postage Collection using VersaMark ink and white embossing powder onto Strawberry Slush card stock and then punched the card stock out using the elegant butterfly punch.  I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I will not judge! The movie that is. The card is absolutely beautiful!