Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Make A Dress Thank You Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Share What Is In Your Closet!
When I travel to visit my mom, one of my favorite things to do is take a look inside her closet!  Actually, she usually has a pile of clothes waiting for me - things she no longer wears or wants that might fit me.  So it is usually a fun fashion show at mom's house :)  And I often find a few things to bring home with me.  This time I managed to get a few fun fleece jackets - something I love to wear in the air conditioning and in the cool air in Colorado :)  So I thought I should make her a cute thank you card to reflect our recent closet clothes shopping event :)  Do you share what's in your closet?
I decided to practice my sewing skills a bit more with this card.  I took out my Orchard Harvest fabric (now on the CLEARANCE RACK!).  I then sketched a simple dress onto a piece of chipboard (a great use for old cereal boxes!).
Next I cut out the dress pattern from the chipboard and then traced it onto the front of the fabric using a pencil:

In order to make the fabric easier to work with on the sewing machine, I used an iron-on interfacing to create some stability.  Then, I sewed around the outline of the dress using my free-motion foot on the sewing machine and some black thread.  I even added a bit of extra sewing on the bottom of the dress!

Once I was done sewing, I cut out the dress and added a few embellishments.  I sewed on a "belt" using small piece of ribbon and then punched out a small flower and added it with a glue dot.  I then added some fusible web to the back of the dress and ironed the dress onto a small piece of muslin.  The muslin piece was then stitched to a piece of Bermuda Bay card stock before being added to the Crumb Cake card base with dimensionals.
The final touch was to stamp the sentiment from Simply Sketched and then punch it out with the artisan label punch.  I actually punched the piece out and then worked one end of it back into the punch to make a smaller label.  I hope you like it!  Now if I could only sew a life-size dress that looked like this....

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

How sweet! I bet you could do it!

Anonymous said...

Your sewing skills are well ahead of mine...at least you knew there was a free-motion foot on your machine. This is an adorable one-of-a-kind card, and your mom will love it. I'm envious that you and your mom can share clothing. No one in my circle wears my size. :-P --Doris