Monday, December 03, 2012

Scrappy Tree Holiday Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  I cannot tell you how happy I am that I have taken up drawing again.  I had been thinking about it for a long time, but always considered it impossible & beyond my abilities.  - Vincent van Gogh
I have been reading The Letters of Vincent van Gogh and have come to feel that if Vincent and I had met one another we would have become friends :)  I have been connecting with his words so much and will be sharing quite a few of his thoughts with you as I continue to read his letters to his brother Theo.  I was struck by the above quote!  Even Vincent thought drawing was impossible and beyond him!!!!!  How cool is that?!  What he didn't do was surrender!  He just let that thought come and go and then kept at it - practicing drawing, over and over, until, as he described it, "what seemed utterly impossible to me before is gradually becoming possible now."  What do you feel is impossible?  I have to agree with Vincent that drawing has always felt beyond my reach.  So what am I going to do about it?  I'm going to take Vincent's approach - practice and let the thought of doubt come and go.  Maybe I to can make the impossible become possible!  How about you????
Today's card came at the request of a neighbor.  She needed 25 Christmas cards and I told her I could whip some up for her :)  I know, I know - the supplies are mostly retired now, but since I had them leftover I decided to use them versus purchasing something new.  Of course, a very similar card could be created with current stamps and designer paper, so I thought it was worth sharing with you!  I ended up tearing strips of 12x12 paper and then gluing them together to form about a 12x6 pieced together section of torn strips.  I then created a triangle template using chipboard and traced the triangle out on the backside of my pieced strips and then cut them out.  Next I used 2-way glue and dazzling diamonds glitter to give the trees some sparkle :)  A small rectangle of Chocolate Chip card stock was glued to the Crumb Cake card base and the greeting from Sincere Salutations (retired) was stamped with Chocolate Chip ink.  I then added the tree with dimensionals.  So easy and so fun and festive!  I hope you like it!!!!  And yes, I am covered in glitter from creating all the trees ;)

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

What do I feel is impossible? Right now, getting my house presentable. The more I try to organize, the less organized it looks. But I'm going to think positive and do a little at a time - consistently - like your practicing. Though I wonder, can someone practice being organized?

Your design is simply beautiful. A great way to use those papers.