Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Out On A Whim Wednesday: Wine Dreidel :)

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Why Put Your Gift Of Wine In A Bag When You Can Decorate It?????
We were invited over to a friend's house for a Chanukah celebration with potato pancakes (called latkes) and we decided to bring a bottle of wine with us.  Of course, I could not resist the urge to make a statement with the decoration of the wine bottle and I decided to turn it into a dreidel - the spinning top toy that is played with during the holiday of Chanukah.  I used a toilet paper roll for the top and covered it with foam and a bit of silver piping.  I then cut out a chipboard template and used the template to cut different colors of blue and white foam.  I even cut Hebrew letters from black foam.  I added some silver piping to the top edges to try to cover some of the glue (I used a quick drying glue that worked pretty well on the foam...If I had a bit more time I might have been a bit neater ;)  Finally, I tied a piece of silvery ribbon to the top of the top :)  The cool thing?  You can actually spin this dreidel while it covers the wine bottle!  I wish I could take credit for it being a working dreidel, but it actually was a happy accident :)  Why put your gift in a wine bag when you can decorate it???? :)  How can you decorate your wine bottles for the holidays?  I'm thinking a tree, Santa, a nutcracker or a reindeer would be absolutely adorable!!!!!

No comments: