Thursday, December 20, 2012

Lovely As A Tree Brayered Background Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Journal Through It!
I have been doing my best to keep a journaling commitment to myself.  Three handwritten pages every morning.  Just stream of consciousness writing - sometimes I just write "I really don't have anything to write right now" and go from there.  The practice first was introduced to me by Julia Cameron in her book The Artist's Way.  I used to begin my day by waking up and immediately checking email/news and then going for a walk with Buddy.  I found that on my walks I would often feel unsettled.  Now, by making journaling my priority (and getting up a little earlier), I find that I am able to journal through my thoughts and moods and really relax into my morning walk.  A cup of tea is a nice accompaniment to the journaling - and watching the day go from dark to light also sets a wonderful mood.  I find that the 3 pages take me 30 minutes.  It is a very worthwhile investment for me.  I share the practice because maybe you would find it helpful too.  If it peaks your interest, give it a try and see what you can journal through :)
Today's card was a part of my holiday stamping workshop.  It began with a piece of Wild Wasabi card stock that was run through the Big Shot with the Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder.  I then inked up a brayer with Chocolate Chip ink and lightly rolled it, in every direction, over the embossed areas.  You can add more or less ink depending on the look you are going for.  I also find this works better than trying to sponge the raised areas - much more efficient :)  The tree is from Lovely As A Tree and was stamped with Versamark and then heat embossed with gold embossing powder.  I used rhinestones and Cherry Cobbler dazzling details to decorate the tree.  The sentiment is from Petite Pairs and I used the pinecone image from Lovely As A Tree to accent the edges of the punched sentiment.  I also sponged the edges of the sentiment with Chocolate Chip ink.  I hope you like it!!!!!  (I also want to send a special thank you and huge hug of appreciation to Doris, Helen, Peggy, Sharri and Lorraine!  I appreciate you so much and am so grateful to have come to know you through this wonderful virtual world!!!!!!  Thank you for all of your wonderful comments, emails and support!  You are incredibly creative spirits and I am honored to know you!!!!!  You amaze me!!!!!!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I don't comment as often as I should (I comment even less on other blogs and forums I frequent), but I come here every day to enjoy your creations and to ponder your words of wisdom. When I visit most stamping blogs, I look at the photos and scan the text for ideas and card recipes. Your blog posts are read eagerly and completely and always make me stop and think about my own situation. Often, it's like you've read my mind, or peeked into my own crafting room. Your words always come across as caring advice from a trusted friend. My visits, here, are a highlight of my time on the computer. Thank you for sharing your heart and creativity. I am so grateful I found you and your blog. You are the creative and amazing one, my friend. XOXO Doris