Thursday, November 29, 2012

From My Heart Anniversary Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  When Will I Learn That Practice, Not Product Purchase, Makes Me An Artist?
One step forward, two steps back.  That's my progress, or lack thereof, when it comes to trying to teach myself that it is practicing my art and not purchasing more and more art supplies that makes me an artist.  On my work trip this week I took along a sketchbook and a pencil as well as the book Mixed Media Girls by Suzi Blu.  I have been wanting to teach myself how to draw faces and I felt a bit overwhelmed about where to begin.  I am grateful that Suzi Blu created this book because she gave me a start!  I sketched each day that I was away - even if only for a few minutes.  Just putting pencil to paper - one line at a time.  It is the practice that will help me learn how to draw faces, not the purchase of some fancy pen or pencil or paint.  But alas, I have not learned yet, because although I did practice my art while I was traveling, I am also guilty of taking advantage of holiday sales and purchasing pretty new pencils and a special marker or two.  If I can combine the practice with the purchase, maybe I am beginning to form some type of balance.  If all I do is purchase, I will never realize my potential as an artist.  Maybe that's my new mantra for this holiday season full of sales...practice, don't purchase!  Wish me luck!!!!
Today's card began with a brayer technique!  I embossed the Very Vanilla card stock with the Lacy Brocade embossing folder and then inked up my brayer with Sahara Sand ink and lightly ran the brayer over the raised areas of the embossing.  The panel was then adhered to a Sahara Sand card base with glue.  Next came a faux bow (I have a video on how to make faux bows - you can find it in the list on the left-hand side of my blog) made from organza ribbon.  I then stamped the sentiment from From My Heart with Early Espresso ink and punched it out with the Decorative Label punch.  I added the sentiment from Teeny Tiny Wishes with Sahara Sand  ink.  I die cut a piece of Sahara Sand card stock using the Window Frames framelits and sponged the edges of this and the punched piece with Sahara Sand ink.  These pieces were layered onto the card.  As a final embellishment I took a couple of chip board hearts and layered them on top of one another and sprayed them with a combination of Gold Glow and Silver Foil Smooch Spritz (I allowed one to dry before spraying with the other).  The heart was then added with glue.  Here is a close up:
I hope you like it :)

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Sometimes I wonder how much I could really accomplish if I weren't distracted by new tools and toys.

I love the color(s) you've used on this card. It's beautiful.