Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Out On A Whim Wednesday: Paper Cut Inspired By The Backyard

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  If It's Calling To You, You May Want To Indulge The Impulse
I have been fascinated by paper cutting lately.  It began with a book at a museum - one that caught my eye and couldn't be left behind!  Then I tried my hand at a few small cutting exercises and was pleased with the result (will likely be sharing those soon).  Then I began to be drawn to the idea of paper cutting some of the scenes from my backyard.  We have a hedge along the side of the yard and sparrows love to sit and sleep in and on the hedge.  So I finally went hunting with my camera and snapped some photos!  I then went out on a whim!!!!  I cropped and printed one of the photos that I really liked and temporarily adhered it to the back of an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of charcoal paper.  Next I began to get busy with a sharp blade!!!!    I had tried doing papercutting using heavier SU! card stock.  It is a bit harder to cut through, so I don't think I'd choose it for larger projects.  But for a card or smaller project it would be fine!  Here's how the project looked when I was part way into it:
The finished paper cut is 8 1/2" x 11".  I went ahead and matted it onto white and framed it in a black frame.  It was difficult to try to get a photo of the framed piece due to the glare.  Hopefully you can get an idea of the finished work from the first photo.  I was really happy with how it came out (and, after a full day of working on the paper cutting, my right hand was very happy to be done!) :)  If something is calling to you, you may want to indulge the impulse!  I have a feeling I will be doing more papercuts about life in the backyard :)

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I'm so glad you indulged your impulse because this is wonderful! Now take it easy with that hand for a while.