Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Out On A Whim Wednesday: Playing With Plaster Of Paris

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Take It Off The Shelf And Put It To Use!!!!
Do you have something sitting on your shelf in your creative space that you have never used?  No, this isn't a trick question :)  You can admit to it - your secret is safe with me :)  A particular box of Plaster of Paris has been sitting on one of my shelves for quite a long time...taunting me.  It happened to be not too far from another box - one of Amazing Molding Putty - also unopened.  So the time finally arrived to take those boxes off the shelf and put them to use!  What better way to honor Out On a Whim Wednesday!!!!  The Amazing Molding Putty is super easy to use and I was able to mold a few items in under 40 minutes!  Pretty cool!  I then mixed some Plaster of Paris with water and poured the mix into the molds.  About an hour later you can demold the plaster and then let it sit for another 24 hours to dry.  Here is what one of my pieces looked like when it was removed from the mold:
I am not quite sure where this piece will end up...somehow a wood board and some type of collage seem to be attracting me...we'll see what happens :)  (In case you are wondering, the pattern came off of an antique box that Michael found in the course of his work as an antique dealer...I knew the pattern had to be molded!)  In the meantime, I've been hard at work molding some other objects that I have big plans for!  Sometimes all it takes is taking something off of your shelf and putting it to use to give you a big burst of inspiration!!!!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hmmm, molding putty - gotta get me some of that. Unbelievably I do not have any (though you are right that there are many things on the shelf just waiting to be loved). I can't wait to see what you're going to do with that large piece. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Antoinette/Cultivate Life in Joy said...

Love your way of thinking a true frugal woman after my own heart..you are a true blessing..keep up the inspiration..following and learning from you..thanks..Oh yes..beautiful mold love that antique fancy stuff