Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Blossom Punch "Love" Altered CD

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room: You Can't "Win" Unless You Are Willing To Enter
Today's project is one that I sent in to Stampin' Up! for one of the monthly contests in the Stampin' Success magazine.  I am always a bit jittery about sending my creations out there into the world to be "judged."  I have sent in submissions to this contest a number of times.  One time I received an honorable mention (and a free stamp set!) and another time, after not hearing anything, I actually saw my creation on one of the boards at the yearly convention (it was a nice surprise!).  I also have a bit of a hard time entering this contest because, unlike some of the other magazine contests where you only have to send in photos of your creations to determine if you then need to send in the actual item, for this one you need to actually send the item in to enter (and sometimes I get a bit attached to the things I create :)  So, with my reluctance and with a lot of love, I sent this creation in.  It did not win anything...other than my knowing that I tried.  I have to say that "I tried" is a reward in and of itself.  You can't "win" unless you are willing to enter.  I may not have won the recognition or the 3 stamp sets that come with winning this contest.  What I did "win" is the knowledge that I'm willing to take risks.  The knowledge that I am willing to let go, even when it's not easy.  The knowledge that I put myself out there and was willing to see what would happen.  Now if I can take those lessons into the rest of my life I know a lot of personal growth will happen!!!!!
I love altering CDs.  In the job that I do I often have CDs to store back-up presentations (just in case my computer gets stolen/damaged when I travel).  After the event, the CD is no longer of use to me...at least not for work outside of the craft room! :)  I love to cover CDs with designer series paper and embellishments to create door hangings, wall hangings, mini books...the sky is the limit!  Here I used Flirtatious designer series paper and my blossom punch to create a bouquet of flowers for both the front and back of this CD.  I used the crop-a-dile to add an eyelet at the top of the CD so that I could thread my striped ribbon through.  The paper doily adds a bit more interest to the CD.  The letters were stamped and embossed using the Lovely Letters Alphabet, Melon Mambo ink, VersaMark and clear embossing powder.
I hope you like it...and if you don't, that's okay...this piece has given me the lessons that I need :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think this is a winner. I never thought to alter a used CD with DSP and embellishments. I love that you're always thinking outside the (card) box, and taking artistic risks. ;-) --Doris

Lorraine said...

Well, I certainly L O V E this. It's really very pretty and such a wonderful way to repurpose those CD's. That alpha set is one of my favorites. Sorry you didn't win, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the process.

Anonymous said...

I Love this and so glad you send it on. Its a winner for me. I will be trying one of these. Thanks for sharing. And I too love the way you think outside of the box. Penny