Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Out On A Whim Wednesday: Painted Ceramic Tiles

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Challenge Yourself To Figure Out How To Make It With The Supplies That You Have!
If you have been following/reading my blog, you know that I recently have been playing around with both porcelain and glass paint!  I've been having a ton of fun searching for different surfaces to paint - things that can then be placed in the oven here at home and heated so that the items are both dishwasher and microwave safe.  Well, it didn't take me long to move from the idea of painting food service items to the idea of painting tiles that can be used in so many different ways around the house and on home decor items!!!!!  So I pulled out some 2"x 2" white and black tiles that I happened to have in the house and I began to paint and experiment.  As you can see, I became obsessed with creating these grid patterns!  I used a gold outliner to create the lines and then just filled in the little boxes with paint - it is so therapeutic!!!!  It looks like faux cloisonne to me - very enamel-like.  You are probably now seeing how I became inspired to make the tile magnets I shared with you yesterday :)  After painting quite a few of these tiles I began to wonder how I might be able to make something similar (although not dishwasher/microwave safe) using my Stampin' Up! materials.  The heat embossed tile magnets using gold embossing powder and Crystal Effects was the result of that thinking!  How can you challenge yourself to figure out how to make something you really like using the supplies that you already have on hand?????  You might amaze yourself by what you come up with!!!!

No comments: