Friday, November 11, 2011

Four Ways Friday #69 - Inspired By Nature Coloring Techniques

For this week's Four Ways Friday I'm doing things a bit different.  Rather than share four completed projects,  I wanted to share with you four techniques for coloring the floral image from the Inspired By Nature stamp set.  Enjoy!  Here is a photo of the four variations:
Let's take a look at the different techniques used to color these images:
 
This first technique is simple and fun!  I used markers (Poppy Parade, Old Olive, Peach Parfait, and Chocolate Chip) to color directly on the stamp as shown here:
Next I spritzed the stamp with water a number of times (I keep water in a small spray bottle on the craft table for techniques like this one).  Then I stamped onto watercolor paper.  So simple and such a wonderful, bright image!
 For this second piece I just added one additional step to the technique in the first piece.  I colored the stamp with markers as described above.  Next, I "huffed" on the piece with my breath to make sure the ink was moist and then I "kissed" the uninked baroque stamp from Baroque Motifs on the surface of the inked stamp and lifted.  This "kissing" technique removes ink from the inked stamp and leaves a shadow of the pattern from the uninked stamp.  I then "huffed" again on the inked stamp and stamped the image onto Whisper White card stock.  This creates the boldest of color of the techniques I am sharing with you today. 
This third technique produces a softer image than the first two, depending on how much water you use.  For this piece I colored directly on the stamp with Watercolor Wonder crayons using various shades.  Next I spritzed with water and stamped onto watercolor paper.  I love how this technique really mimics watercolor painting - so soft and pretty.
For the final project I decided to do the Poppin' Pastels technique.  I stamped the image onto Whisper White card stock using VersaMark ink.  Next I dabbed Stampin' Pastels in various shades onto the cardstock using cotton swabs/daubers.  I gently brushed off the loose pastel and used my eraser to erase some of the smudges.  I love the doppled effect this technique creates!
I hope you've enjoyed these four coloring techniques.  I hope they inspire you to try something new or to try a technique you haven't used for a while.  I now need to figure out what cards I want to create with all these panels!  I hope you have a beautiful, relaxing and creative weekend!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Your posts always make me want to get lost in my stamp room uninterrupted and see what happens. Let's see what Sunday brings.