Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bird Mixed Media Collage

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Creativity Is Just Connecting Things.  -Steve Jobs
I had a wonderful day in the craft room yesterday!  The creativity actually started happening prior to entering the craft room.  I went for a morning walk with Buddy and my brain started to fill with connections between craft supplies and different techniques.  Combinations started filling my brain - combinations I had never tried before.  So yesterday I played with some of those combinations and had a great time).  Tomorrow I will share a finished piece I made since today I promised to show you the finished mixed media collage that incorporated my paper clay music notes bird.  I love Steve Jobs' quote that creativity is just connecting things.  The things exist - it's up to us to figure out how we might combine them and put them together to bring something new to life.  What can you connect????  (Sometimes I think it would just be fun to write down categories of supplies, or maybe techniques, on small pieces of paper and put them in a jar.  Then, when you need a little creative stimulation, just reach into the jar and pull out a few of the pieces and see what happens!  Hmmm, might have to begin a new series on this blog doing just that!  I'll keep you posted)!
The first picture in this post shows you the transformation my paper clay bird experienced :)  I used gold paint to cover the entire bird and then added wings that I die cut from metal and then embossed with an embossing folder (non SU!).  I then added some paint/distressing to the wings before adhering them to the bird.  The jewel eye was the final touch for the bird before I incorporated him into the larger collage.  If you have been following my blog lately, you know that I love the Chinese proverb:  A bird does not sing because it has an answer.  It sings because it has a song.  This piece sat unfinished in my craft room until, one day, I came upon that quote and the piece decided it needed to be completed :)  Here is a picture of the completed piece...I hope you like it :)
Here are a few more close-ups so you can see things a bit more clearly:
The flowers were die cut from metal using the Daisies #2 die and the Flower Folds die.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I love that the quote has inspired you to be so creative. This is absolutely wonderful.