Monday, October 10, 2011

Flower Folds and Paper Flowers Altered Tin Can

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Mozart did not compose, he copied.  He copied what was already written on his soul. - Marc Chagall
When I read this quote it really spoke to me; how art is so much about getting in touch with what is written on your soul.  On days that I struggle to create I feel it is because my soul is buried under so many layers of day-to-day trivialities - thoughts, fears, overloaded with external stimulus.  It is at these times that I need to become still - to allow space and time for quiet to settle in and for my soul to be visible again.  How do you get it touch with what is written on your soul?  If I just begin to create - to sit down in the craft room and just begin - no matter what is going on in my day - I often find that my soul will start to dig through the grit of everyday life and begin to breathe - begin to share with me what is written within.
Today's altered can began with some leftover paint on a brush :)  We are starting to play around with new paint colors for the exterior of our home and of course I couldn't let any of that paint on the brush go to waste!  So I ran inside and grabbed a can that I had sitting in the craft room and painted it with a base layer of the paint.  Once that dried I sponged on a few other colors - metallic acrylic paints.  After this second coat was dry I did a bit of sanding to give the can a distressed look and reveal some of the silver metal.  I then punched 2 holes in the can using my crop-a-dile (I love that it can punch through metal!!!!).  I thread wire through the holes and wrapped it to create the handle.  Next I made the "dreams" tag using the Loads of Tags sizzlit and the stamp from Fabulous Phrases and Cajun Craze ink.  I attached the tag to the can with wire after sponging it with metallic acrylic paint and Cajun Craze ink.  Next came the hot glue gun!  I used it to attach a variety of fabric and paper flowers that I had saved from projects over the past few months.  The base flowers were made using the Flower Folds die and some scrap fabric.  One of the flower centers was made using the Vintage Springtime fabric.  The other two flowers were made from card stock and designer paper.  A few adhesive pearls were added to complete the altered can.  I hope you like it :)  I think these cans are adorable as holders for special little house gifts - maybe a small plant or a bunch of fresh herbs from your garden! :)

No comments: