Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Create Art Serif Essentials and Faux Leather Sign

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  It All Begins With An Idea Or An Action
Today's project started with the idea to make a sign for my craft room after I had completed yesterday's "create art" card.  What I find is that most of my art begins with either an idea or an action.  Sometimes I walk into the craft room and sit down and have an intention - an idea of where I want to start or what I want to do.  At other times, I sit down and I am clueless!  I have no idea what I am going to do or where to begin.  Either way creates a beginning - a place where my art begins.  You don't have to have an idea to actually get started - you can just get started :)
This first photo is where I began to bring the idea to life.  I cut a piece of chipboard for the base and then die cut chipboard with the Serif Essentials dies and adhered the letters to the base using glue.  I then began to apply strips of masking tape, smoothing the pieces around the letters as I went along.  Here are some pictures of the process I went through:



I kept adding the masking tape until the chipboard was fully covered.  I then used my embossing tool to press the tape down very tightly around the edges of the letters.  It's hard to tell in this last photo, but using the embossing tool to outline the letters really helps define the outline.  So I think I'm going to leave you in a bit of suspense and share the finished project with you tomorrow.  I figure it took me a little while to make this piece - a bit more time than my usual card, so it makes sense to me that sharing it with you should take a bit more time too :)  Stop back by tomorrow if you want to see what happened next! :)

No comments: