Thursday, September 08, 2011

Island Floral Flower Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Focus On What You Can Do, Not On What You Can't!
To say my mom is an active person is an understatement!  She spends about 3 hours at the gym, 5 days a week!  Her normal routine involves the treadmill, swimming and the recumbent bike.  A few months ago she began experiencing knee pain and it was impacting her ability to be as active as she was accustomed.  She went to the doctor and learned that she had a pretty bad medial meniscus tear and surgery was being recommended.  She was not happy about the news, but instead of focusing on what she wasn't able to do, she took the doctor's advice, scheduled the surgery (with a bit of reluctance) and focused on what she could do.  Swimming and the recumbent bike were still doable and not objectionable to the doctor, so do them she did!  I am happy to say that she had her surgery yesterday and is beginning her road to recovery.  My sense is that because she is in such great shape, she will have a swift recovery.  That treadmill better watch out!  Thank you mom for teaching me to focus on what I can do, not on what I can't!
Today's card was an opportunity to play with die cuts, punches and sewing :)  I die cut two of the flowers from the Island Floral Bigz die using Very Vanilla card stock.  I then sponged the larger flower with a mixture of Daffodil Delight, Melon Mambo and Rich Razzleberry ink.  I crinkled the flower a little.  The smaller flower was sprayed/sponged with some Melon Mambo ink and then I used glue to attach a multitude of sequins that I had in the craft room.  A button was then added to the center after threading it with a touch of hemp twine.  I attached it using Crystal Effects.  I then die cut a flower using the Daisies #2 die and River Rock card stock.  I cut the flower every 3 petals which gave me four 3-petal pieces and one 4-petal piece.  I then adhered the sequin center to the large flower using dimensionals and then used glue to insert the flower pieces.  I curled the petals for some dimension.  Before adhering the flower to the River Rock card base I sewed a stem and the petals using gold metallic thread in the sewing machine.  The petals were cut from the 5-Petal Flower punch and Old Olive card stock.  Finally, I adhered the flower using glue.  I felt this card didn't need a greeting - the flower speaks for itself :)  I hope you like it!

No comments: