Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Medallion Stamp & Gesso Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Work Through The Resistance!
Resistance is such an interesting emotion!  It seems to come up for me quite a bit in the craft room, especially when I find myself not liking the creation that is unfolding in front of me.  I begin to resist finishing the project and I just want to begin another one.  That moment is a big decision point for me - do I abandon and give up on what I am doing and just begin something new (or walk out of the craft room)?  Or, do I forge forward and work through the resistance and see what unfolds?  I believe it takes strength to be willing to forge forward - to face the demon that is staring you in the face and let that demon know that you won't be dissuaded.  I know it's just a card, but if I can face that demon in the craft room and get through it, maybe I will learn that in other parts of my life the demon can be slayed as well!
I wish I could deconstruct the process I went through while making this card, but I honestly went through so many steps I don't even remember what I did!  The part I do remember though is that when I was ready to walk away I thought to myself, "gesso!"  Gesso is a wonderful art medium that can be used to cover surfaces, while allowing the layers beneath it to show through (depending on how thick you apply the gesso).  You can also use a toothpick or other pointed surface to scribe designs into the gesso and the gesso also gives the surface "tooth" so that you can paint or stamp on top of it.  I began with a plain piece of watercolor paper for the background and applied ink and gesso in different layers (that's as specific as I can be about the process since it was a all a bit of trial and error as I went along...not to mention fighting the demon that wanted me to abandon this background all together!).  The Medallion background stamp was inked with Melon Mambo ink and stamped at half strength onto Very Vanilla card stock.  I then cut it out and sponged the edges with black ink.  The greeting is from Bring On The Cake and was stamped with Basic Black ink onto a strip of watercolor paper.  I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Michelle, I love this. I'm glad you pushed through the resistance. I will definitely be giving this a try as that background is wonderful. It's so textural. The black highlighting on the medallion and the sentiment certainly makes them stand out wonderfully. (Sorry I've been missing for a while - I'll be catching up with your posts in the next week or so.)