Thursday, June 30, 2011

'What's Left' Collage Inspired By Charlotte Lyons

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Be Present With What Is Unfolding.  - Merle Rosen
This piece was inspired by an article I read in a free ebook I downloaded from Cloth Paper Scissors.  The article was entitled "What's Left" Collages and featured collages by Charlotte Lyons.  The article was enough to send me running into the craft room to play!  This collage, like the others I am sharing with you this week, was not done in one sitting.  Rather, it has grown over the course of a number of days - sitting within sight on the craft table - and slowly built...little by little...until it reached a point where I felt it had unfolded.  Being present with what is unfolding can feel challenging at times.  Our inner critic pipes up and tries to discourage us.  Our own internal messages around time and productivity can strangle our creative freedom.  Allowing ourselves to leap these tall "buildings" - these obstacles that try to block our creative way - in a single bound is our way to be our own superhero!  Why not try being present with something as it unfolds - you may be surprised at your own super powers!!!! :)
This collage began with an 8"x10" canvas board and grew from there.  I added fluid acrylics, gesso, stenciling, fabric, and all kinds of bits and pieces that were hiding in the craft room!  Bottle caps, die cut letters, rub ons, keys, buttons, fortunes, tiny playing cards, cardboard, beads, designer paper, book pages, ribbon, string - oodles and oodles of fun!  I have a feeling I will be playing around with more of these collages in the future.  I love the challenge of being present and watching what unfolds!  Hope you like it!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I love reading your write-ups. You really make me think about the process. Seeing your finished work is always a reward. I've got lots of bits and pieces left about - this would be a great way to get them out of the drawers or containers and be able to be enjoyed. Thanks again for the inspiration.