Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Altered Tin Can

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Sometimes The Best Gold In The World Is Of The Feathered Variety!
I'm still dealing with this cold that has decided to visit my body for a bit.  I spent my time today in the craft room instead of on the couch - it was a nice change of scene...especially when I looked out the window of the craft room and saw this:
It's rare for us to see such colorful birds in the city.  We have our share of blue jays, but the goldfinches usually stay in the mountains.  Today this gorgeous guy decided to brighten my day - it worked!!!!  Sometimes the best gold in the world is of the feathered variety!!!!
I was reading a past issue of Somerset Studio (Jan/Feb 2006) and I came across an article about Tinnies by Lisa Kaus.  I loved how she recycled tin cans and turned them into gorgeous knick-knack holders!  I was inspired so I dug a can out of the recycling bin and got to work!  I painted the can with 2 layers of latex house paint and then sanded it to let some of the silver shine through.  I cut, scalloped and tore some old book pages and then colored them with ink and acrylic glaze.  I adhered them to the can with gel medium and then added letters cut with the Big Shot and my Alphabet Simple Letters dies.  The paper flower was made using various layers of the scallop circle punch.  I hope you like it!  I can't wait to dig more cans out of the recycling bin!!! :)  Thanks for the inspiration Lisa!

No comments: