Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fifth Avenue Floral Birthday Card

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Art Is My String!
I can't remember if I've told you this story before.  If I have, it's always good to hear again...and there's a good chance I'll tell it again in a matter of months from now!  I read once that back in the day, on the Great Plains, farmers learned to tie a string from the back door to the door of the barn because each farmer knew at least one person who had died in a snowstorm when they couldn't find their way back to shelter.  The storms would be so intense that they couldn't see and they would lose their way between the buildings.  By tying that string between the buildings, they were able to find their way in the storm.  Art is my string!  When days feel like blizzards; when my emotions are going every which way but a happy and supportive way, art helps me find my way back to center.  If I'm in a bad mood, I can go into the craft room and create for a bit and the storm blows over and the calm moves in.  I hope you have a string that helps you find your way - whether it is art or another passion - we all need our strings :)
Today's card is part of a set that I made for my mom as part of a birthday gift.  I stamped the flowers from Fifth Avenue Floral and one from Eastern Blooms in Pink Pirouette, Baja Breeze and Sahara Sand.  I added a touch of dazzling diamonds to the flower centers.  I adhered a piece of textured Sahara Sand card stock and then sewed across it with the sewing machine (yes, I'm addicted to sewing on cards now!).  I used VersaMark and Early Espresso ink to heat emboss the Sincere Salutations greeting onto Pink Pirouette card stock.  I then punched it out using the decorative label punch.  I hope you like it!  Here are a few simplified versions of the card...

No comments: