Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Amazing RAK & Cracked Glass Technique Bookmark!

Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  Practice Random Acts Of Kindness (RAK)!
Isn't this bookmark AMAZING!!!!  I was delighted to open my mailbox and find a beautiful card with this gorgeous bookmark inside.  They came from my friend and artist Peggy!  How sweet is this?!  You can check out Peggy's blog HERE.  It was an amazing random act of kindness and it made my week!!!!  When was the last time you practiced a RAK?  Today would be a great day!
The bookmark also inspired me to try my hand at creating one :)  Here's the result:
Here's a picture of both the front and the back...
I began with a piece of Whisper White card stock and stamped the floral image from Elements of Style using Crumb Cake ink.  Next I stamped the bird image in Marina Mist and the greeting in Early Espresso.  I then stamped the front and back with the Linen (retired) background stamp in Baja Breeze to create some texture.  I love this background stamp!  For the back I stamped the Ephemera (retired) background stamp in Crumb Cake and then the bird and "take note" from the Notably Ornate set in Early Espresso.  I then did a bunch of sponging on the front a back with River Rock, Soft Suede and Chocolate Chip.  Finally, I sprayed the front with a mixture of champagne shimmer paint and water in a spray bottle and let it dry.  Once dry, I applied versamark to the entire front of the bookmark and added clear embossing powder (I used ultra thick embossing powder, but you can use regular clear embossing powder for a similar effect).  I heated the embossing powder and, once it had melted, I applied another layer of versamark and clear embossing powder and heated again.  I repeated this about 4 times until the melted embossing powder layer was nice and thick.  Then I placed the embossed bookmark in the freezer for a few minutes.  When I took it out, I carefully bent it to create all the "shatter"/crack marks in the embossing powder - it is such a great look!  Finally, I made a hole with my crop-a-dile, added a large eyelet and some lace and seam binding ribbon.  I hope you like it!  I really love my RAK from Peggy!!!!!!!  Thank you so much Peggy!!!!!!!

1 comment:

marilynprestonn said...

Awwwww, what a darling you are Michelle. I just love your "inspired" version. The blue ribbon and lace is sooo perfect here.

What an honour for me to have inspired you, the Queen of 3D flowers and more.

Hugs to you my friend. xo