Friday, June 25, 2010

Four Ways Friday #11 - Textured Impressions Embossing Folders

Welcome to another Four Ways Friday!  My focus this week is on the textured impressions embossing folders!  There are oodles and oodles of ways to use these folders.  Here I will show you four...well, maybe five :)
For this first project I pulled out that wonderful aluminum/silver duct tape that you can buy at the home improvement store!  It is great to emboss since it comes with adhesive already on the back.  I ran a piece of the tape through the Big Shot with the Petals-a-Plenty embossing folder.  I then adhered the embossed silver tape to a piece of card stock and punched it out with the Butterfly Extra-Large punch.  Don't throw the backing of the tape away!  Here I tore a piece of it and glued it onto the card as an added embellishment!  Don't you just love this new Marina Mist color!!!!  It's gorgeous in person!
Your embossing folders love to get inked up!  For this card I took the Finnial Press embossing folder and used a brayer with some Crumb Cake ink on it and rolled the ink onto the inside of the embossing folder (I rolled it onto the debossed side).  I then placed a piece of Sahara Sand card stock into the embossing folder and rolled it through the Big Shot.  The ink transfers onto the card stock!  You can use subtle or bold ink and card stock combinations for this technique and the embossing folder cleans up beautifully!  I added a few extra dots with my white gel pen.  The birds were punched using the Two-Step Bird punch and the hearts using the Heart To Heart punch with Rich Razzleberry card stock.  Of course I had to add a bit of Crystal Effects to the birds' wings and the hearts.  The greeting is from Teeny Tiny Wishes.
This next technique came to me while I was falling asleep last night!  I cut a piece of watercolor paper and stamped all over it using various images and colors.  Then I spritzed the watercolor paper with a bunch of water and let the colors run together.  Due to my impatience when it comes to drying time, I used my heat tool to dry the paper :)  I then ran the watercolor paper through the Big Shot with the Finnial Press embossing folder.  I kept the paper on the embossing folder when I opened the folder up and then took a sanding block and sanded the high points of the design.  Sanding took some of the ink away and brought the white of the watercolor paper back to the surface.  I really like this look!  I added some ribbon and some embellishments from the Pretties Kit (which is retiring).  I had so much fun with this technique I decided to try a different color combination on a different card.  Here's what I came up with:
For this card I used the Petals-A-Plenty embossing folder and covered the watercolor paper with brown shades (Chocolate Chip, Soft Suede, Crumb Cake).  I followed the same steps as I did with the above card.  I know I'll be making more cards with this technique!
Don't forget to spread your wings when it comes to using your embossing folders!  You don't have to limit yourself to card stock!  For this final project I took a piece of copper craft metal and ran it through the Big Shot with the Two Tags die.  I then took the tag and ran it through the Big Shot again in the Elegant Bouquet embossing folder.  Finally, I added a jumbo eyelet with my Crop-a-dile and stamped the metal with Jet Black Staz On.  This tag will look gorgeous on a present and it becomes a keepsake as well!  How else can you use your embossing folders?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!  Thanks for stopping by for this week's Four Ways Friday.  If you'd like to purchase any of the embossing folders or other Stampin' Up! supplies used in this post, please visit my website HERE!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Great ideas Michelle.