Friday, January 22, 2010

Palindrome Paper Piecing


Today's Lesson From The Craft Room:  It is better to remain silent and have people say, "I wonder what he's thinking," than to speak up and have people say, "I wonder why he spoke."

This was the wisdom that Benjamin Disraeli, the nineteenth-century British prime minister shared with a new member of Parliament who had asked for his advice.  What if we only spoke when we had something to say that other people really needed to hear?  I have a feeling I would be much more quiet and my words much more meaningful.  How 'bout you?

The word "toot" immediately came to mind when I saw this palindrome challenge on SCS!  We had to make a card and include a palindrome - a word that is the same when read forward or backward.  I figured it would be better to make a card with a train with the word "toot" than to make one with a large bean and the same word! :)  lol!  I paper pieced the train using various punches and some simple cutting.  See if you can figure out which punches were used for the different parts of the train!  (hint:  I used the round tab punch for the silver "fender" on the front of the train).  The smoke was created by punching the scallop oval circle in a piece of scrap paper and using the hole it created as a stencil to sponge going gray ink.  The letters are rub-ons that I picked up at an office supply store.  The background paper is one of the pages in the Sweet Pea designer paper collection from SU!  Hope you like it!!!!

No comments: