Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Today's Lesson From Boston and Not The Craft Room: Feed Your Need For Creativity Wherever You Are!

Yes, I'm back on the road again...this time one of the flight attendants recognized me from having been on the Denver to Boston flight a few weeks ago - How pathetic is that?! When flight attendants start recognizing you, you know you've been spending too much time on airplanes!

So tonight I went to dinner and noticed a bookstore right next door so I wandered right to the Graphic Design and Craft Section and started feeding my creative need, as opposed to my stomach! What an amazing amount of creative food there was! I could have sat there for hours devouring all kinds of books and images! I ended up buying one book (I have yet to discover the secret of how to walk into a bookstore and leave empty-handed) - it's called Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain. I figured it had to be as good as a Starbuck's Vanilla Latte with a name like that! It is chock full of amazing activities to stimulate your creativity. For example, on p. 225 the challenge is to create a postage stamp design by choosing among a few different scenarios...I particularly liked the scenarios of "Gerbils have overrun the White House" and "Peanut Butter and Jelly was elected National Sandwich!" The stamp can be any shape or size, but must include a denomination. Seems like us stampers could have a lot of fun with a challenge like this...does anyone have a Gerbil stamp????

So even here, in a hotel room far away from the craft room, there are still ways to keep the creative juices flowing! Feed your need for creativity wherever you are! And if you decide to take the postage stamp challenge, please email me your creation at michelle@figmentsofmyimagination.com - maybe I'll post it on this blog! :)

No comments: